70CM EME Wyoming DN54fw

Date/Time: September 1, 2019 MR 1530z (>35 degrees of moon/sun separation)
Call: KB7Q
QTH:
DN54fw, Beartooth Plateau, Wyoming
Frequency:
432.090 MHz KB7Q 2nd
Mode: Primary is JT65b, but will respond on CW to stations calling on CW.
Gear: 1x 38el. Yagi w/elevation, 550 watt LDMOS amp, IC-9700 w/Leo Bodnar GPSDO, WD5AGO pre-amp, Honda 2KW generator.
Internet:
No
Quick and dirty antenna mounting, up and on in one smooth move between wind gusts.
Boondock camping at its best - sunset. Click on picture to enlarge.
Joyce and I camped our way over and up onto the Beartooth Plateau (DN54 Wyoming), and got the station set up a day early. A good thing, as I discovered I had a high SWR issue. I ended up replacing a brand new LMR600 vendor-made jumper cable with an LMR400 spare that runs from the feed point to the pre-amp box and all was right again. It looks like I have some connectors to lop off and replace.

Conditions at moonrise were not great, and a stiff breeze kept blowing the Yagi off the moon. PA2V could copy me well enough to see my signal going up and down until I improved my rope-craft! Of course being daylight and just after new moon I never actually visually located the object of my affection. Conditions came around to being quite good after 45 minutes or so.

Eighteen stations were worked on JT65b which I judge to be a fair outing for 70cm with 550 watts and a single 38 element Yagi. I saw CW callers a few times in the water fall, but nothing in the speaker I could copy. I need to add "headphones" to my packing check list.

Logged: DL7APV (-21), DK3WG (-26), PA2V (-25), G4RGK (-17), OK1KIR (-17), ZS4TX (-16), UT6UG (-20), UA3PTW (-13), UX5UL (-20), DL8FBD (-25), K4EME (-22), ZS6JON (-16), PH100KLM (-19), PA0BAT (-26), W7MEM (-18), K2UYH (-24), G4YTL (-27), DL8GP (-26). XE2AT was decoded, but we didn't complete. LoTW uploaded.

The weather up on the plateau at 9,500' (2,900M) was superb. It was 70 degrees F (21C) , sunny, and the breeze kept the mosquitoes at bay. Hard to believe this high country will be locked in snow less than a month from now.

So who needs Nebraska or South Dakota on 70cm for W.A.S.? Mid-October is looking good for a trip.

Bonus Video: Heard in the speaker while working HB9Q while station testing. Click here